Friday, December 14, 2007

Full credit to the forty faces you created


Everyhing seems to have gone all 1970's recently. What with spacehoppers and Led Zeppelin reunions I fear that it's only a matter of time until men start growing gigantic sideburns and women begin burning their bras.

The current Zeppelin fixation worries me. When I was at School only the nerds listened to them: everyone else concurred with Paul Simenon of the Clash that "just looking at one of their album covers makes me want to throw up". A bit harsh maybe, but the hairy ones had split up a few years earlier and everyone with a bit of nous was listening to the Smiths. Nigel and Raymond with their unfashionably long hair and zoso t shirts may not have been social pariahs, but they certainly didn't get invited to the best parties.

These old geezers reunions don't really don't do much for me. A bald, half deaf, arthritic Pete Townshend attempting to windmill, or Jimmy Page gurning from beneath a mop of white hair, smacks of parody.

As for Led Zeppelin. Were they the greatest rock band of all time? Probably. For me that's not really the point. They weren't likeable, and although they had millions of fans, they certainly weren't loved.

There's enough of the punk in my DNA for me to wish that someone had fired a heat seeking missile at their privately chartered Boeing 747.

"I'm a golden god!". Of course you are Robert, you're from Brirmingham. Now kindly fuck off.

16 comments:

Betty said...

I love Led Zepp because of the power of the music, but I can appreciate the ridiculousness of them. Clueless as to why anyone would want to see them now - or any re-formed band, come to that.

My heart's always with The Sex Pistols though (and I won't be seeing them live either).

Peevish McSnark said...

Feh. I never liked LedZep or their followers the first time around. Long-haired slacker greaseballs. Feh.

garfer said...

betty

No Filthy Lucre tour for you then.

peevish

Dazed and confused you are not.

The Mistress said...

I'm picturing you blogging in platform shoes, singing The Immigrant Song.

Ah, ah, AH!
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods
Will drive their ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying:
Valhalla, I am coming!

garfer said...

With SID on drums. That's assuming a drum seat commodious enough to accommodate his giant arse could be found.

The Mistress said...

To find a drum seat big enough for SID’s fat arse, we’ll have to consult with the creators of Big Bertha and The Ireland Millennium Drum.

garfer said...

That drum isn't even big enough to accommodate one of his buttocks.

KAZ said...

I agree - Robert et al were wonderful but the geriatric rock thing has gone too far.
What next - Sir Robert Plant, sir John Lyndon and sir Morrisey to follow sir Mick.

garfer said...

I'm looking forward to Sir Peter Doherty.

Barry Lawrence said...

Gotta disagree with you here, Garf. They were brill and I didn't have long hair, sideburns or a leather jacket.
A pal who also never had the hair/sideburns/jacket saw the reunion gig at the Dome thingy and he said they were, and I quote, "awesome".
Although I like the music, I fucking hated the pseudo-psychobabble supposedly underlying punk. Lots of dickheads jumping up and down shouting "I want to be different, and so does this bloke who's also got green hair, and that bloke with green hair, and call me Spong, even though my real name is Nigel.....Hang on, I've got to be back at mummy's in a bit for tea.".
At least Zep haven't descended to the depth of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, unlike some supposed punk heroes I could mention.
P.S. I got so angry there I soiled my loons.

garfer said...

You are an antique grandfather clock Mr Pither. Not that there's anything wrong with antique grandfather clocks, if slowly swinging pendulums float yer boat.

It's not Zep I object to, it's the fans. That and songs about elves.

Btw. Communication Breakdown is a punk rock song if ever I heard one.

S.I.D. said...

Nice to know the subject of my beautifully formed bottie brings cuntries together.

garfer said...

Beautifully formed?

Twin deformed Spacehoppers more like.

The Mistress said...

"Twin deformed Spacehoppers"

Haaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

*salutes Garfer*

FirstNations said...

1. ZEP IS GOD
2. ZEP IS GOD OF ALL
3. any reunion tour by anyone will be one i miss. geriatric rockers are sad. geriatric rockers should have put away a few dollars for a rainy day when they were younger instead of blowing it all on coloring books and hotwheels cars.
4.ZEP: WONTON MASTERS OF ALL ROCK
5.you're just bitter because you missed out and had to make do with the Smiths, yo.

garfer said...

I bet you wear velvet pantaloons when you go golfing FN.

Begone ye hippychick throwback.