Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fairytale of New York



I love Billy Bragg. A man of the people with a big hooter and a penchant for the poetic:

I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care

Unfortunately he's gone and done a collaboration with Florence and the Machine on the Pogues and Kirsty MacColl classic 'Fairytale of New York'. No Billy, no. It's a manful effort but you aint North London Irish and you still have a full complement of teeth.



I have buried the turkey in the snow, have wrapped the presents in my usual shambolic fashion, and have hidden the malt whisky where Uncle Samuel won't find it. The only remaining worry is whether I'll make it home from the Pub tomorrow night without falling in a ditch and dying from hypothermia. It was -10 C last night. If this continues for much longer defrosted corpses will be discovered next Spring.

Happy Christmas.

6 comments:

The Mistress said...

I shall find the hidden malt whiskey.

Happy Christmas and a warm hug to keep you warm in the ditch.

KAZ said...

Stay in the pub.
Over indulgence of alcohol must be a better way to die than hypothermia.
XX (for Christmas)

Arabella said...

To all men with big hooters and those not so fortunate, and not forgetting us girls: Merry Christmas.

Betty said...

I hate Florence And The Machine unconditionally, so I won't be listening. I'm very shallow and unforgiving.

Even London has only just started to thaw out.

Hope you have some sort of happy or at least tolerable Christmas.

Mopsa said...

No, Billy, no, Billy, no, no, no. You can't improve on perfection - don't try! Happy Christmas Garfer.

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I don't mind the Florence & the Machine cover of Massive Attack's Unfinished Sympathy, but I think they should leave it there.

It was their originality that shone through when they burst into the charts and they shouldn't sell out on that. They should stick to their own songs. Besides which even the original Fairy Tale in New York has been played to death so why on earth do they think a cover version is called for?

Merry Michaelmas! Lx