Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Midwich Cuckoos


I am off down the pub to drown my sorrows over the imminent demise of the really rather wonderful, and much loved, angrychimp.

Herge Smith, creator general of the chimp will be much missed around these parts, and he will be a sad loss to the blogging community. I would try and persuade him to reconsider, but I fear that the die is cast, and that such efforts would prove of no avail.

I was planning a post on Scottish tinkers this evening. I was going to draw an analogy between the fear of outsiders in our society, and the alien intruders in 'The Midwich Cuckoos'. It then occurred to me that this would be treading on the toes of Wyndham the Triffid, acknowledged expert on all subjects Wyndhamesque. It just can’t be done. I couldn’t live with myself.

If Wyndham is passing by, perhaps he will consider a post on the book and film.

I’m orf for a booze.

5 comments:

Wyndham said...

Wyndham has heard your earnest plea and is at this very moment ruminating about a fabulous post on the subject. If anything Wyndham is more interested in The Midwich Cuckoos and its rather excellent filum - version the first, obviously, and a great opportunity to watch it again - than the book/filum based on his ancestry. However, your posts are always excellent and frustratingly well-informed Garfer so please feel free to cut-loose with a post of your own.There can never be too many posts about the Great Man and his books.

Have a drink on me. I look forward to receiving a post that makes no sense from you, later. It's almost become something of a tradition on a Saturday night.

garfer said...

Just do the filum.

M said...

Hey Babe!! Totally off the subject, I found a rub. Now off to get the suprise!! :-)

garfer said...

Goodie. I like surprises (nice one's)!

Rowan said...

yeah, I'm sad about it too.