Wednesday, October 12, 2005

You Said Something


As my admission of lustful feelings towards Tracey Emin produced many hoots of derision from my fellow bloggers, I have decided to make amends by drawing attention to a total babe.

The truly gorgeous P J Harvey is a definite one off; a leftfield rock diva that doesn’t make compromises in either her music or her appearance. The daughter of hippies who moved to the West Country in the early ‘70’s, she had a fairly bucolic upbringing. Her parents were artistic types, and she was steeped in the music of Dylan and Beefheart from an early age.

I can’t claim to be a huge fan of all her music; her output is too diverse for that. Sometimes she can seem completely inaccessible, attacking the world with a wail of distorted guitars and feedback. Then she can release 'To Bring You My Love', an album of swamp blues. Next thing you know, she’s recording ‘Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea’ in New
York and coming over all Patti Smithish. The most recent album ‘Uh Huh Her’ is an exercise in lacerating honesty.

So she’s gorgeous, she’s a rock star, and she doesn’t make compromises to achieve mainstream fame. That’s pretty perfect in my book. If Polly wants me to come down to Devon and discuss existential philosophy with her, I’ll be off like a shot.

Courtney Love is reported to have said that: “P J Harvey is the only rock star that makes me feel shit”. Very perceptive of Courtney that. NOW there is a total minger if ever there was one.

18 comments:

Alex M said...

PJ Harvey? In the words of that insurance-selling dog: oh yes yes yes yes yes.

Sniffy said...

Somebody should've told her about those boots with those knickers though.

garfer said...

Your taste, as always, is impeccable Alex.
Tina.I chose a slightly mingy photo of PJ so that the ignorant could mock my good taste. Her dress sense is a bit outre I must admit.
Hello bigdov. Give me PJ over Kelly Brook anyday. She has a brain.

Sniffy said...

Yeah, but she's no Uma Thurman, is she? UMA UMA UMA! That's what the people want.

garfer said...

Yes Tina, Uma is gorgeous. I think you may have mentioned the fact in the past...once or twice...sigh.

Sniffy said...

Ok, I get the message...sigh

Peevish McSnark said...

You like 'em skanky, dontcha?

garfer said...

Skanky? Don't be ridiculous. Polly is the personification of feminine elegance.

Sniffy said...

I like her that plays Shane in The L Word. You'd have to watch it, but I reckon she'd be right up your street.

garfer said...

How so?

S.I.D. said...

Are you serious? Looks like your trying to out do April in her recent choices of Shag of the Week.

Far too thin and as for the outfit. Snakes and stripes yuk!

garfer said...

Blonde bimbos do nowt for me. That photograph was taken quite a few years ago. She's not quite so lanky these days.
Anyway, each to their own, she beats the Rock anyday.

Rowan said...

ANYTHING beats the rock ;)
It's better, but never heard her music I'm afraid, tho' I imagine I would like it judging by those influences you mentioned.

garfer said...

Give her a listen Rowan. She's worth it.
Still can't view your blog. Damn MP3's. Grrrrr.

Wyndham said...

I'm afraid I've just tagged you for some nonsense.

Sniffy said...

Why so Shane from The L Word? You need to watch it.

Betty said...

Wasn't PJ Harvey supposed to be having a relationship with Vincent Gallo? As he has a face like a battered ironing board she might not be that unattainable after all.

garfer said...

P J always has man trouble. I think I should be the male to sort her out.